Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Oct 17th, 2018, 11:54pm
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Boar Tuff Outdoors « Knapping flints and Silicosiss »

Boar Tuff Outdoors
   Gun Talk
   Muzzleloaders
(Moderator: Boartuff)
   Knapping flints and Silicosiss
Previous topic: Grommet tool  Grommet tool  «-  Start new topic  -»  ITX Sabot  Next topic: ITX Sabot
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Knapping flints and Silicosiss  (Read 386 times)
Dirts
A Real Mountain Man

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

Knapping flints and Silicosiss
« on: Feb 23rd, 2017, 12:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just learned about this from a kindle book by GJ Kelly and its titled “Gun Flints and how to make them”   It cost me $.99. He states Everytime a flake is struck millions of particles of silicone dust explode from the fracture.  Breathing the dust into your lungs has a similar effect on your wind bags as chewing razor blades does to the lining of your mouth. Preventive measures are to only do it outdoors and never in a contained area where you or the ones you love will be exposed to the dust.  It stays in air in a contained shed etc.  The particles are so fine they pass through masks.  He suggests that if you are sharpening a flint that while doing it you blow out air like you are whistling to prevent particles from entering your lungs.  Wash your hands and clothes right away to remove most of the particles.  Do not smoke, eat or drink while flint knapping.
This seems quite harsh but boy is is great to know.  Please pass this on to fellow flinters.  For other information he says color has no bearing on quality but the ones that are not heated give the most successful strikes because they are the hardest.  The ones that are heated in manufacture are more brittle.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2017, 12:53am by Dirts » IP Logged
Dirts
A Real Mountain Man

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

Re: Knapping flints and Silicosiss
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23rd, 2017, 6:19am »

I just sent inquiries out to the Log Cabin Shop and Dixie Gunworks about this subject.
IP Logged
Dirts
A Real Mountain Man

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

Re: Knapping flints and Silicosiss
« Reply #2 on: Mar 2nd, 2017, 4:49am »

They don't answer my inquiries.  I just searched flints and silicosis and it confirms the threat of ignoring precautions.  It does not deter my love for the sport but I will follow safety precautions.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic: Grommet tool  Grommet tool  «-  Start new topic  -»  ITX Sabot  Next topic: ITX Sabot

Boar Tuff Outdoors » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.
Vote for Us at The Outdoor Lodge's Top Hunting Sites