Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Dec 11th, 2018, 12:56am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Boar Tuff Outdoors « cheapskate strikes again »

Boar Tuff Outdoors
   Gun Talk
   Muzzleloaders
(Moderator: Boartuff)
   cheapskate strikes again
Previous topic: Post up your MZ kill...  Post up your MZ kill...  «-  Start new topic  -»  Savage smokless  Next topic: Savage smokless
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cheapskate strikes again  (Read 993 times)
thad
Tracker

View Profile

cheapskate strikes again
« on: Sep 4th, 2012, 2:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

.....this time with better results. I went to the store intending to buy some Powerbelts for the encore. BnW let me try a couple when I was having so much trouble with the Maxi-balls. As I was standing there looking at the options, I noticed some copper coated lead sabots from TC that were half the price of the Powerbelts. You guessed it, I got the sabots instead. They loaded real nice and shot even better. I only adjusted my scope twice and had em in the ten ring at 50 yards. Now I just need to practice more with it to get consistent. I can't blame my bad shooting on my equipment any more!!!!
IP Logged

I wear the pants in my family........my wife just picks them out!!!
Boartuff
Administrator

Mid-MO...wishin I was in the mtn's

View Profile WWW

Re: cheapskate strikes again
« Reply #1 on: Sep 4th, 2012, 4:29pm »

There ya go!  It takes trial and error to find something accurate in those darn things.
IP Logged

Hunt with handguns. You'll become addicted.
thad
Tracker

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 5th, 2012, 3:17pm »

yeah I'm pretty excited about it now. It really liked the sabots.
IP Logged

BnW

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 5th, 2012, 4:44pm »

Glad it's shooting good for ya Thad. Be careful when reloading without swabbing between shots. That's were I had the problem with the full plastic sleeve. If the barrel was dirty the sleeve would lock up and get even tighter as you pushed the sabot down to seat it.
IP Logged

BnW

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 5th, 2012, 4:48pm »

I might add that when I had that problem I was shooting with a buddy of mine. He had a blued barrel and I had a SS barrel. While mine got really tight, I was still able to seat it and after the shot I swabbed it out and it was fine. My buddy did not have that good of luck and ended up bending his ram rod.

The reason I bring this up is it's fine to swab between shots, but in a hunting situation you may need to reload quickly without swabbing. I've never had an issue with power belts seating even up to 5 shots without a patch through the barrel. It will tighten up a bit, but won't lock the sabot like a full plastic sleeve does. Just my  2cents
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2012, 4:49pm by BnW » IP Logged

lelongcarabine
Camp Moderator

BTO is a great forum!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 5th, 2012, 5:57pm »

Sticky reloadin'?  
Hmmm, Thats why I like grease on my patches and Balls.... er Minie's Roll Eyes rofl
Plastik SABBOTS, Waghhh, Ole "Liver Eatin Johnson and Hatchet Jack" would roll over in their grave and puke! rofl
IP Logged

Dear Jesus, Our Nation Needs You! There is still a remnant, representing your Holy Name! Hold those, in leadership accountable in the same manner as you hold me. No More, No Less!
In GOD We Trust!
thad
Tracker

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 6th, 2012, 9:57am »

That's good to know BnW. I will more than likely continue to play with different things as I get more confident with this stuff. For now I'm glad I found a combination that works well. I do swab between shots, however that's a good point about hunting situations.
IP Logged

Boartuff
Administrator

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Sep 6th, 2012, 12:53pm »

You're not as likely to get a second shot when hunting, but even then, loading for a second or even third, you should be fine. Sabots have been around for a long time. I shot three deer a couple yrs ago within 5 minutes and had no trouble seating the bullet. If you want to shoot patched round balls, shoot a side lock. Personally I like inlines.
IP Logged

thad
Tracker

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 6th, 2012, 1:10pm »

maybe you had an excess of adrenaline, you know like those stories you here about 10 year olds liftin trees off their moms and stuff Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Boartuff
Administrator

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14th, 2012, 10:54am »

Just for you, Thad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thompson-Center-ENCORE-LOAD-DATA-BOOK-Rifle-Spec ific-/200816700823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec19bad97
IP Logged

thad
Tracker

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 14th, 2012, 11:50am »

I'm too cheap for that Roll Eyes It would make a nice present if someone would want to give it to me though!!
IP Logged

thad
Tracker

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Dec 20th, 2012, 2:23pm »

A little update:    

I got my Encore dialed in real nice at 100 yards. Punching ten rings with this thing. It gave me a lot of confidence to head to the woods with it. I had a chance to shoot multiple deer the same evening and it was easily loaded without swabbing between shots. It was tighter after the first shot, but not at all hard. I really like this thing. It might become my main hunting gun.  

Now I need to come up with a name for her.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic: Post up your MZ kill...  Post up your MZ kill...  «-  Start new topic  -»  Savage smokless  Next topic: Savage smokless

Boar Tuff Outdoors » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.
Vote for Us at The Outdoor Lodge's Top Hunting Sites