Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Dec 11th, 2018, 12:56am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Boar Tuff Outdoors Maxiball

Boar Tuff Outdoors
   Gun Talk
   Muzzleloaders
(Moderator: Boartuff)
   Maxiball
 Start new topic  -»  New Rifle Project...  Next topic: New Rifle Project...
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Maxiball  (Read 2055 times)
thad
Tracker

View Profile

Maxiball
« on: Aug 15th, 2012, 1:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I picked up some maixiballs. Haven't shot them yet, but I plan to this weekend. I hear they're suppose to be real accurate. The good thing is, they are the cheapest thing going besides a round ball, which is my favorite part. I like the idea of fewer parts, vs. sabots or whatever. I know I'm splittin hairs on that part, but what the heck, it's all I could come up with besides outright saying I'm a tightwad.    
Anybody got any thoughts on using the maxiballs?
IP Logged

I wear the pants in my family........my wife just picks them out!!!
BnW

View Profile

Re: Maxiball
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 2:45pm »

Never tried them, it will be interesting to see how they shoot.
IP Logged

Boartuff
Administrator

Mid-MO...wishin I was in the mtn's

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 4:09pm »

I've never tried them either. You planning to do alot of shooting with that ML?
IP Logged

Hunt with handguns. You'll become addicted.
thad
Tracker

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 4:21pm »

maybe Wink , I know what you're saying, why you worried about the cost when you aint gonna shoot that many? I'm not,   but Wal-Mart in Union just stocked up their ML section with a boatload of TC stuff. That's awesome. Besides, every buck I save on this stuff can go towards a reloader AR15firing icon_banana
IP Logged

Boartuff
Administrator

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 4:58pm »

LOL Cool Tell me about the Maxiball. I've not paid any attention to them and assumed they were for sidelocks. Shows how much I know.
IP Logged

thad
Tracker

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 5:58pm »

It's a prelubed cast projectile from TC that's suppose to be very accurate and put big game down in their tracks. I got the 320 gr. ones(I think) Wal-Mart has em for $11/ 20 rds. If I remember right, the Powerbelts and sabots were pushing $20 and higher /15 rds. I read a lot about them on the internet, and guys can't say enough good things about em. I guess I'll see.
IP Logged

Tommy
BTO Posse Member 1000+ posts

SW Mo

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 10:27pm »

This is the bullet I use in my MZ.  Two deer down.  Pure lead HP BT with sabot.  One hole accuracy at 50 yds in my rifle.  http://www.prbullet.com/shop/products.php?nCategoryID=3
IP Logged

In God we trust
lelongcarabine
Camp Moderator

BTO is a great forum!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 10:45pm »

I have shot "maxi balls" in sidelocks. I also have a Lyman mould to cast .50 Caliber Maxi's. They shoot best if the rifling twist is faster than 1-48" and they fit fairly snug in the bore, particularly at the muzzle. They are bore diameter and when fired, upset into the grooves. Their shape is designed for loading ease. They are heavy for caliber, but meet the "length cannot exceed twice the diameter" Colorado rule for Muzzle loading Rifle season.  
The recoil is quite stiff with a .50 Maxi fired from a Hawkin style rifle using 110 Gr. of FFG!  
As to their function in modern inlines? I have no idea. However, the bullet should work quite well if it fits the bore correctly with a fairly fast twist. The amount of powder to get it to upset adequately could be less with the modern in-lines as the grooves are more shallow than the older side lock reproductions. They were still thinking patched round balls, or Minie's, 35-40 years ago.
Its certainly worth a try!
Greg
IP Logged

Dear Jesus, Our Nation Needs You! There is still a remnant, representing your Holy Name! Hold those, in leadership accountable in the same manner as you hold me. No More, No Less!
In GOD We Trust!
Boartuff
Administrator

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 10:56pm »

I'm curious as to the amount of fouling that would be left in the rifling of a modern inline if they're going to conform since they're so tight and are lubed. I've not experienced any plastic some claim is left from shooting sabots. I think that idea was brought on by companies promoting their 'plastic removing' products. I do understand that modern inlines and saboted bullets were designed hand in hand for the best consistent performance. It will be interesting to hear your analysis, Thad.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2012, 10:59pm by Boartuff » IP Logged

lelongcarabine
Camp Moderator

BTO is a great forum!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 11:06pm »

Lube is essential or your bore will be leaded as well as fouled. SPG and even Crisco works if you have none available. There was also "Maxi Lube" and even the old Bees wax and petroleum jelly concoction that is the old minie ball and BPCR bullet lube (Circa 1800's).  Besides lubrication, it keeps black powder fouling soft so it can be wiped out with a damp patch after a few shots. I dont know anything about the newer powders available after Pyrodex , how they perform or the level of fouling.  
I'd be interested in your findings. What is the diameter of your bore, land to land?
Greg
IP Logged

Dear Jesus, Our Nation Needs You! There is still a remnant, representing your Holy Name! Hold those, in leadership accountable in the same manner as you hold me. No More, No Less!
In GOD We Trust!
BnW

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 16th, 2012, 9:11am »

I'm stickin to my powerbelts. They are tried and true for me. Although it's going to be quite interesting to shoot open sights again on this new one. It's been probably 20+ years since I've shot anything without optics.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2012, 9:12am by BnW » IP Logged

375win.
A Real Mountain Man

BTO is a great forum!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 16th, 2012, 8:37pm »

Shot some maxi 's years ago in a t/c scout . they pack quite a punch . Haven't tried them in my encore 50cal. yet. heard they don't work well in newer magnum load inlines ,but figgered it's B.S.  just need to do load developement . TOO many want THE FASTEST , FARTHEST , shooting gun they can get ' WITH THE NEWEST FANCY powder, bullet combo out there .
IP Logged
thad
Tracker

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Aug 20th, 2012, 1:18pm »

Well I shot the maxiballs. All over the place. 100 gr 777 at 25 and 50 yards couldn't get a group to make any adjustments to the scope. A patched round ball shot better than that. I was left scratching my head. BnW let me try some powerbelts. Man them load nice!  I'm gonna pick some up and try again. I'm done trying to cut corners(nickle and dime) with this stuff. We'll see what happens
IP Logged

lelongcarabine
Camp Moderator

BTO is a great forum!

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 20th, 2012, 3:28pm »

Thad,
Thats a stiff load of powder! Necessary in the older rifles with deep rifling grooves.
Try 70 and 75 Grains. If the rifling grooves are shallow, the heavy load can strip the bullet out of the rifling. It is trial and error experimentation. The powerbelts will make for easy shooting. However, there is nothing wrong with old fashioned lead if you can get them to shoot in your rifle!
Greg
IP Logged

In GOD We Trust!
thad
Tracker

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Aug 21st, 2012, 12:25pm »

Whenever I get some loose powder I'll try to play with it again. All I have are 50 gr pellets so I used two. I'm thinking the powerbelts are going to work real good. You know come to think of it, I was using one pellet with the round balls and they didn't shoot that bad at 50 yards or less. Your on to something lelong.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Start new topic  -»  New Rifle Project...  Next topic: New Rifle Project...

Boar Tuff Outdoors » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.
Vote for Us at The Outdoor Lodge's Top Hunting Sites