Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Dec 11th, 2018, 9:05pm
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Boar Tuff Outdoors « Field dressing & processing wild boar »

Boar Tuff Outdoors
   Hunting
   Wild Boar/Feral Hog/Javelina
(Moderators: SandJKENNELS, Shanedog)
   Field dressing & processing wild boar
Previous topic: California; Drawing ...  California; Drawing ...  «-  Start new topic  -»  30th Oct 2011 hunt...  Next topic: 30th Oct 2011 hunt...
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Field dressing & processing wild boar  (Read 96768 times)
wyote
Administrator

NW Wyoming

View Profile

Re: Field dressing & processing wild boar
« Reply #15 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A little tip you might try if you want to pull the skin off. (some of it any way) I used to help a friend butcher and if he didn't scold the pig this is the way he skinned them Wink

Buy some little hook blades for a utility knife and cut 2 to 3 inch strips the full length of the pig from the middle of the back out to the sides. You should have 3 to 4 strips on each side of the backbone.  Now you can cut the tops of the strips and pull down each strip the full length of the pig!  Shocked

IP Logged

For every law thats passed, a little freedom dies
BTO posse member
Shanedog
In The Eagles Nest 3000+ posts

New Zealand

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 3:44am »

on Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:46am, SandJKENNELS wrote:
When you are cleaning a deer once you have the hind legs skinned you can grab ahold of the hide and it wil pull right off with no problems. Untill you hit the shoulder area. With a hog you can not do that in most cases. As the fat does not seperate as good as a deer will. You constantly have to run your knife between the hide and meat.  

Shanedog will have to tell you about the hair removel. I still get sick when I think about it LOL.

Harden up S&J...lmao. ;D Tongue
IP Logged

I shall hunt till I can no longer walk, and then I shall crawl.
BTO Posse Member.
dprinks
Wood Chopper

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Dec 26th, 2004, 9:36pm »

If you wish to scrape a hog, heat a 55 gallon drum 1/2 full of water to 190-200 degrees, dunk the hog in the water for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes, you need to have a stiff backed knife at hand, check after 1 minute, firmly scrape the BACK edge of the knife across the hide, if the hair is ready, it will simply scrape off, when it scrapes easily, pull the hog out of the barrel and rapidly scrape the hair off, keep pouring hot water over the hog so it does not get too cool .
Do this until all of the hog is scraped clean of hair.
This method is used when you intend to salt or sugar cure the picnics, hams and bacon[ belly meat] of the hog.
For scalding, you do not gut the hog first, so you need to do it really soon after you shoot it, make sure it is well bled out.
If you just want meat to BBQ or make sausage or loin strips, skinning is faster and easier, the hook bill blades are the way to go, 3-4" strips top to bottom.
I make it easy on my arthritic hands by using a pair of vise grips to pull on the hide with.
If the hog is not too big, a carpenter's hatchet will split one and take the hocks off really fast.
The hookbill blades and hatchet work very well on deer, too.
Don
IP Logged

Don
Fishhunter
Dish Washer...Pass The Towel

BowBash veteran.

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 8:38am »

Sounds like skinning a cold deer.

What do you do after burning the hair off?
IP Logged

I'd like to hunt where the deer are stupid.
grizzlymitch

MMMMMMM, you smell like dead bunnies!

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 3:29pm »

I've only cleaned one hog but I've done alot of research on it. An old timer on my lease says if it's a boar cut him when he hits the ground. And a trick I heard of to make the skinning process easier is to cut the skin into about 2" wide strips and use catfish skinning pliers. They say it comes off so easy it makes up for the time you spend cutting the strips. As far as the game taste. I've read to  soak them in ice water for 3 days changing the water every day. A shot of lemon juice, a cup of apple vinegar and another shot of vanilla is recipe I heard of to put in the water to take out the gamey taste. This seemed to work fine to me.    
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2005, 3:31pm by grizzlymitch » IP Logged
timhicks

View Profile Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 8:14am »

I guide hog hunts at the Shinn Ranch,and I also run seven traps so I do clean my share of hogs,I try to bleed and gut asap .If I shoot a hog I gut right in the field and skin as quickly as possible.When I have hunters out,it may be 3 hours before I pick them up and I do it back at camp.Now if I am going to take a hog to butcher myself, whether I shoot it or trap it makes this process different,If I trap a hog  I take them all out alive ,I then let it calm down a few days ,by putting in horse trailer and feeding it.Now wild taste at all.No need to soak it.If you make a clean shot on a hog and it doesnt get upset or its adrenaline pumping,unless its a big boar trying to get him some,No need to soak it.I know for a fact the guys like shane  and s and j,the guys who run dogs the hogs will taste more wild and will need soaking.The hogs hormones get pumping and alas ,really wild taste,the bigger the hogbthe worse it can be.There also two main glands on a boars back legs that come from his nuts,these carry his scent that he marks his territory,These dont need to be cut up by his balls,the need to be traced down and cut at his legs were they go in.Also vinegar and ice is a great way to get the wild out,it will change the color of the meat,but it doesnt hurt it or taste bad. The main thing is not to get the hog excited.Now on skinning them,this get ruin a good sharp knife in a heart beat.I have found the best way is to hang it like a deer and skin just like a deer except cutting the hogs skin right down the spine makes pulling alot easier,I also use a 24 volt dewault sawzall for the legs and ribis.Justa time saver.  Tim Hicks
IP Logged

Tim Hicks
Pro staff In Heat Scents
Pro Staff WildBoar USA Magazine
Big_Al

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 9:27am »

This has been an intresting post. Since I have never had any experience with pigs and am a bit curious. I have a question. Do you throw the skin away? Isn't that what you use for pork rinds on demestic pigs? What else do you keep off a pig? Brains, balls, snout etc...
IP Logged

BTO Posse Member
Shanedog

New Zealand

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 12:01pm »

on Mar 8th, 2005, 9:27am, Big_Al wrote:
This has been an intresting post. Since I have never had any experience with pigs and am a bit curious. I have a question. Do you throw the skin away? Isn't that what you use for pork rinds on demestic pigs? What else do you keep off a pig? Brains, balls, snout etc...

The reason why I singe a pig is because the skin is the best eating part off the whole animal. But even if you choose not to eat the skin, it will still help to prevent the meat from drying out while cooking.
I only remove the skin if I am going to stirfry the meat.
But for roasting a leg in the oven, just put some water in the bottom of the roasting dish, then cover the meat with foil while cooking, this will keep the skin real soft and is delicious to eat. Especially if you poke garlic cloves through slots in the skin before cooking. Make sure the water doesn't all evaporate while cooking or the skin will go hard and you will need a chainsaw to cut through it lol.
IP Logged

BTO Posse Member.
Shanedog

New Zealand

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 12:04pm »

on Dec 30th, 2004, 8:38am, Fishhunter wrote:
Sounds like skinning a cold deer.

What do you do after burning the hair off?

Sorry Fishhunter, I somehow missed this post.
Just cut the meat up with the skin on. Smiley
IP Logged

BTO Posse Member.
Ridge Runner

Got stress??  Go shoot something.

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 12:56pm »

Interesting post here, and good info.

I shot my first pig a few weeks ago, and ran into an educated guy on hogs that helped me pull it out of the swamp.  He recommended the ice chest idea to me.  With a cup of cider vinegar and 1/4-1/2 cup of lemon juice, with the mix being dumped once a day for a few days.  Turned out pretty good.

But, I have a question about the hogs:  Whats the risk with the diseases these things can carry?  I can't remember what the main disease is called,..but I'm lead to believe theres a reasonable risk of getting it through the blood and handling un-cooked meat.
IP Logged

"No matter how many guns I buy, my wish list continues to grow"
Shanedog

New Zealand

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 2:18pm »

I am not sure about pork in the States, but we don't have any problems over here.
Just make sure the meat is cooked properly.
If the guts looks healthy, then there should be no problem with the meat.
IP Logged

BTO Posse Member.
Boartuff
Administrator

Mid-MO...wishin I was in the mtn's

View Profile WWW

« Reply #26 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 3:14pm »

on Apr 6th, 2005, 2:18pm, Shanedog wrote:
If the guts looks healthy, then there should be no problem with the meat.

And what are the signs of THAT?! Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Hunt with handguns. You'll become addicted.
wyote
Administrator

NW Wyoming

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 3:31pm »

Hogs have tric-a-no-cis (as you can tell I don't know how to spell it) When you heat the meat to160 degrees it kills the germ, virus or whatever it is.  

BTW Bears also have this.
IP Logged

For every law thats passed, a little freedom dies
BTO posse member
Boartuff
Administrator

Mid-MO...wishin I was in the mtn's

View Profile WWW

« Reply #28 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 9:22pm »

Feral hogs can be infected with swine brucellosis and leptospirosis, bacterial organisms that can also affect humans but which are killed during cooking. Also..... http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/landown/wild/nuisance/hogs/menace/
IP Logged

Hunt with handguns. You'll become addicted.
Shanedog

New Zealand

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 1:01am »

on Apr 6th, 2005, 3:14pm, Boartuff wrote:

And what are the signs of THAT?! Roll Eyes

Some questions just can't be answered on the computer. Huh Roll Eyes
Perhaps I should mail you a fresh pig guts, then you can see for yourself lol. Cheesy
IP Logged

BTO Posse Member.
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic: California; Drawing ...  California; Drawing ...  «-  Start new topic  -»  30th Oct 2011 hunt...  Next topic: 30th Oct 2011 hunt...

Boar Tuff Outdoors » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.
Vote for Us at The Outdoor Lodge's Top Hunting Sites