Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Nov 28th, 2014, 4:22pm
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Boar Tuff Outdoors « Field dressing & processing wild boar »

Boar Tuff Outdoors
   Hunting
   Wild Boar/Feral Hog/Javelina
(Moderators: SandJKENNELS, Shanedog)
   Field dressing & processing wild boar
Previous topic: California; Drawing ...  California; Drawing ...  «-  Start new topic  -»  30th Oct 2011 hunt...  Next topic: 30th Oct 2011 hunt...
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Field dressing & processing wild boar  (Read 74758 times)
Boartuff
Administrator

Mid-MO...wishin I was in the mtn's

View Profile WWW

Field dressing & processing wild boar
« on: Oct 9th, 2004, 12:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

How do you field dress and process your wild hogs?
IP Logged
Shanedog
In The Eagles Nest 3000+ posts

New Zealand

View Profile

Re: Field dressing & processing wild boar
« Reply #1 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 12:33am »

I gut them where I catch them.
Bring them home and singe them.
Cut them in half down the spine.
Put the sides in the freezer, then run them through the band- saw once frozen.
Usually have the back legs for roasts, and cut the rest into chops/steaks. Smiley
IP Logged

I shall hunt till I can no longer walk, and then I shall crawl.
BTO Posse Member.
SandJKENNELS
Tracker

Hoggin an Doggin

S_J_KENNELS@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 1:00am »

If possible I gut them on the spot. Once at home I skin them like a deer. Only thing is you can not pull the hide off of them. Wash them off good and then quater them. Packing them in ice for about a week. Draining the bloody water off everyday, and making sure there is enough ice to keep it all cold. Then cut, wrap, an toss in freezer or make sausage.
IP Logged

Shane

Shanedog

New Zealand

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 1:37am »

Hey Shane,  why is it that alot of you guys bring them out with the guts still in, I have even seen pic's of hogs getting skinned while the guts is still in them.
Is there any special reason for this?
I would have thought with the extreme heat you guys have, that the pig would go off with the guts still in.
IP Logged

BTO Posse Member.
EJ
Dish Washer...Pass The Towel

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 1:07pm »

on Oct 9th, 2004, 1:37am, Shanedog wrote:
why is it that alot of you guys bring them out with the guts still in.

This mostly being because most people around here just take them home for something to take a picture of.  If I WANTED to eat a hog I would gut it on the spot or if I was close to home Id load up and gut and clean it there.  If you look at most of the pics in question you will see a VERY BLOATED hog full of rotton guts...and I GUARANTEE you its going to be dumped off in a pasture somewhere for the coyotes to eat.  

You would be surprised how many people just stick and leave the hogs in the woods or like I said, parade them around on top of the dog box so everyone can see .... then take some pics and dump them.  Roll Eyes

I have always thought .."If Im going to kill something..then someone is going to get the meat"  I dont care if its a "pest or not" ..or how bad the "farmers want them dead" ...thats a lot of good meat that someone would SURELY enjoy eating  Smiley

BACK to the processing ....  

I skin and gut them. Then quarter the hog and put it on ice.  Ive been wanting to get a cordless reciprocating saw to cut through the ribs and other bone..I hear it works great! .... proper field care will always ensure good meat  Smiley
IP Logged

Sloppy Waller Kennels

http://staroutdoors.proboards26.com/index.cgi

Shanedog

New Zealand

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 1:59pm »

It is a shame to see them wasted, especially those fat hogs that have been living on those crops.
I just use a cheap wood saw for cutting down the back bone, the one I have now cost me about $9 and is just starting to go blunt now after about 6 years.
I often wonder how a sabre saw would work cutting down the spine.
The bandsaw that I have also has a mincer attached to it, and is great for minceing up venison or pork, but I have yet to try useing the sausage maker.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2004, 2:00pm by Shanedog » IP Logged

BTO Posse Member.
EJ
Dish Washer...Pass The Towel

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 3:11pm »

I have a "hacksaw" with a bone blade I use ..... but the sabre saw would make short work of it Im SURE .... Im supposed to be making a hunt in a couple of hours .... see if the sorry dogs can get me some good pics  Wink
IP Logged

Sloppy Waller Kennels

http://staroutdoors.proboards26.com/index.cgi

Whodaheck99
Frontiersman...always here

Philadelphia, PA

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 3:58pm »

Gut them right away, let them hang for a short time. Skin them, quarter them, and cut them up. Then freeze. Just  the way we do it. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

BTO Posse Member
Boartuff
Administrator

Mid-MO...wishin I was in the mtn's

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 9:16pm »

Some great tips folks. Smiley

Shane C., can you explain why you pack them in ice for a week?
IP Logged
Shanedog

New Zealand

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 10:53pm »

I can see I am going to have to come over there and force some skin down your wastefull throats lmao laugh.  
I can't bear to read about all this skinning thats going on lol. frown
IP Logged

BTO Posse Member.
SandJKENNELS
Tracker

Hoggin an Doggin

S_J_KENNELS@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 10th, 2004, 12:42am »

Unfortunaly what EJ said about leavein the hogs in the pastures is true. Alot of folks do it even us at times. Due to the fact that we kill so many hogs, to keep the farmers and ranchers happy. Who let us hunt their land, and who if they are not happy will just find somebody else who will make em happy. Also there is no wheres to give the meat. A lot of places want the meat BUT want to charge you to give it to them etc... SO it is just as easy to take a few pics, and dump it or leave the big ones in he fields or pastures and bring the smaller ones home to eat. HEY the YOTE's have to eat also LMAO. Most of the smaller better eating ones go in the cooler.

We leave it packed in ice for a week to bleed it out. In most cases it will take the gamey taste out. Not always how ever. Just drin the bloody water off of it and keep packing the ice in.
IP Logged

Shane

single_shooter
Tracker

CLOSE THE BORDERS NOW!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 1:01pm »

There's a better way of getting out the gamey taste of meats.  A short soak in milk and vanilla.  Real vanilla, not that imitation junk.  I can use 2 cups of milk and a splash of vanilla and take any gamey taste out of meats prior to cooking.  This way you can just cut, wrap, pack and freeze meats and save time and do this after thawing prior to cooking.
   If ya don't believe me, try it on a pickle bucket.  Just one cup and a small splash in a pickle bucket, close the lid and splash it around coating the entire inside thoroughly and then rinse it out.  The pickle smell will be gone and the entire process will take less than 2 minutes.
   For really tough tastes and smells, switch to buttermilk.

By the way, I use a cordless Makita Sawz-All for processing deer.  Works great, and blades are cheap and available everywhere.  My shoulders and arms thanked me for making the switch from an old butcher's saw.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2004, 1:07pm by single_shooter » IP Logged

If you know how many guns you own...you don't have enough.
cahl
Wood Chopper

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 3:19pm »

Quote:
Only thing is you can not pull the hide off of them

Not sure if I did the quote thing right, but SandJ had posted that you can't pull the hide off like a deer.  I was hoping him or someone could elaborate on this comment, and/or explain how you remove the hide, or if you're not suppose to, talk about methods of removing the hair.

Thanks!
IP Logged
SandJKENNELS
Tracker

Hoggin an Doggin

S_J_KENNELS@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:46am »

When you are cleaning a deer once you have the hind legs skinned you can grab ahold of the hide and it wil pull right off with no problems. Untill you hit the shoulder area. With a hog you can not do that in most cases. As the fat does not seperate as good as a deer will. You constantly have to run your knife between the hide and meat.  

Shanedog will have to tell you about the hair removel. I still get sick when I think about it LOL.
IP Logged

Shane

cahl
Wood Chopper

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:07pm »

ok, that explains alot!  I've heard of the process of the ice chest before, but have also heard of "aging".  Is the Ice chest process also qualify as aging, or does it prohibit one from aging (the meat)?  

Also, My brother likes to cook a "crown roast" I think is what he calls it at Christmas.  Are wild hogs too small  to provide a good one?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic: California; Drawing ...  California; Drawing ...  «-  Start new topic  -»  30th Oct 2011 hunt...  Next topic: 30th Oct 2011 hunt...

Boar Tuff Outdoors » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.
Vote for Us at The Outdoor Lodge's Top Hunting Sites