Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Dec 11th, 2018, 9:03pm
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Boar Tuff Outdoors Morning

Boar Tuff Outdoors
   Welcome To Boar Tuff Outdoors
   Front Porch
(Moderator: Major)
   Morning
Previous topic: Road trip   Road trip   «-  Start new topic  -»  Opening day   Next topic: Opening day
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Morning  (Read 219 times)
Sagebrush
In The Eagles Nest 3000+ posts

Looking into the distance for smoke

View Profile

Morning
« on: Dec 2nd, 2018, 8:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Defiantly feels like December. Teens in the mornings and looks like single digits in the middle of the week. Snow if tapering off for a while now.

Only track soup for us yesterday. Found 11 head of elk thought we could sneak on them kept watching and they were all bulls. We have cow tags. Found a big black spot on the mountain kept thinking beef cow? wild horse? One lone cow moose she stood out in the white snow.

A ton of hunters trying to do the same thing as us. The elk are at 8,000 feet and hanging in one terrible spot no one can sneak in on. All open ground. To many eyes watching. We got until the end of the month.
IP Logged

You're never really lost, if you don't care where you're at
Trainer

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

Re: Morning
« Reply #1 on: Dec 2nd, 2018, 10:36am »

Sure hope you are able to get a elk! I didn't realize bulls hung around together, is rut over? Do they call it rut with elk?
IP Logged
Sagebrush

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 3rd, 2018, 7:55am »

The rut is over. Elk rut is usually in Sept/Oct just depends on the elk actually. The bulls go back to bachelor groups after rutting. There might be some young rage horns staying with the cows and calves.
Decided to stay home yesterday. Don't know what I did but I'm walking sideways this morning. Haven't decided if we're going out or not. Have to go tomorrow for sure.
72 hour check on traps. Every 3 days have to be out there.

Guess Boise got hammered with snow yesterday. kind of in a centralized zone. West of us thank goodness. Glad I don't have to commute this morning down in the valley. They have one main road system shut down due to ice. No one down there will slow down and they don't have any respect for anyone else either. the stupid "I" thing or "me" thing.
We got have a couple of inches on the ground. It hit 37* yesterday for a little while and boy howdy did things start dripping and the snow settled.
Got the lights out and on the apricot tree. Went to the dollar store and bought 4 more of those big xmas tree balls. At least they are big enough you can see them over the normal sized ones. The pine trees are big here at the house I could never get lights up or down and they would need several hundred feet of lights. My two little sets of lights look good on the fruit tree and they are on a timer with 2 D batteries. Love them they work on their own until the batteries die.

IP Logged

375win.
A Real Mountain Man

BTO is a great forum!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 4th, 2018, 7:35pm »

You need to send someone up to that spot in the middle of the night . Stay there till good light then shush them down your way . ... yeah sounds to easy ,, they go else where or the pusher would get clobbered .
IP Logged
375win.
A Real Mountain Man

BTO is a great forum!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 5th, 2018, 3:15pm »

Good afternoon everyone  . Hope you get your elk Sage . Some day I would like to go elk hunting.  I don't care about antlers snow a cow would be fine . Just don't know if I will be able to afford a hu t or be able to physically  . Nut I can keep dreaming . Who knows it may happen  .
IP Logged
Sagebrush

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 6th, 2018, 7:40am »

We've chased one the other half rolled Tuesday afternoon. Total tracking time about 7 hours. Never did catch up to her. She recovered and joined up with about 40 head of cows and calves. Other half walk about 2,000 foot gain yesterday while I sat and watched and directed here and there and watch for her just in case. Back to the drawing board. It'a more like elk chasing than hunting. This group of elk have been hunted hard since August. It's one of those things if you don't walk your backside off you hope you just run into them and get lucky. We have until the end of December. Other half is totally wore out. Going to be a easy day, hopefully.

Temps have taken a nose dive. -9 here at the house. Last couple of mornings it's been minus 8,9 over where we're elk hunting. Get above 7,000 feet and the temps warm up somewhat. It said our high temp here at the house yesterday was 15* on our weather station. If it gets above 25* we'll be melting. LOL
Skies are crystal clear night and day. Some mornings have that pinkish/red ting to the sky. You know it's cold then.
Dog has been sleeping inside. He's short on underfur and hair. Short haired type dog.
IP Logged

375win.
A Real Mountain Man

BTO is a great forum!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 6th, 2018, 12:49pm »

Hopefully you get your cow .  The weather is finally letting the ground freeze a little . calling for some colder weather , 1-2 inches of snow tonight . Just not ready for the 0* stuff .
IP Logged
Trainer

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 6th, 2018, 6:58pm »

I got wore out just reading about your hunt, I mean Chase. Sure hope you can catch up to one soon so you can rest the rest of the year. We got above freezing yesterday, not by much. Cold today and going to get colder Sad I saw 8 in the field by our place tonight on the way home. A doe was waiting to cross the road, she looked both ways even!
IP Logged
Sagebrush

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 7th, 2018, 7:59am »

-9 yesterday with a high of 12*
-9 most of the night just jumped to -8*. Suppose to get to 23* warming up! Calling for snow next week.
Other half thinks he frost bit his fingers he let them warm up slowly but yesterday morning they were still burning when he went out in the cold. Going to be a fun winter. He had gloves with him but wouldn't use them he didn't want them (gloves) to get wet and dirty. I wonder about his thinking sometimes. Guess what they wash I told him.
IP Logged

375win.
A Real Mountain Man

BTO is a great forum!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 7th, 2018, 11:02am »

good morning , get him 2 pairs , wear 1 , keep one as back up . . I carry extra socks and gloves when hunting , feet feel cold , their wet , change out socks good to go . same with gloves ,  being mountain people you already know that.  frozen fingers and ears suck , burn all winter .
IP Logged
Sagebrush

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Dec 8th, 2018, 7:28am »

He should have just put something on but he wouldn't.

2 above this morning. It feels different and the house is quite warm this morning.

IP Logged

375win.
A Real Mountain Man

BTO is a great forum!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Dec 8th, 2018, 1:10pm »

Hi all . Got a few cold days then its going  to start warming up,  calling for 40+ by end of next week .
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic: Road trip   Road trip   «-  Start new topic  -»  Opening day   Next topic: Opening day

Boar Tuff Outdoors » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.
Vote for Us at The Outdoor Lodge's Top Hunting Sites