Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Oct 17th, 2018, 11:51pm
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Boar Tuff Outdoors Canning day

Boar Tuff Outdoors
   Welcome To Boar Tuff Outdoors
   Front Porch
(Moderator: Major)
   Canning day
Previous topic: Sunshine!  Sunshine!  «-  Start new topic  -»  YELLOW JACKETS !!!...  Next topic: YELLOW JACKETS !!!...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Canning day  (Read 184 times)
Trainer

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

Canning day
« on: Oct 6th, 2018, 1:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We are going to can apple pie filling today. We have never done it but have a lot of apples this year and hate to see them go to waste. I don't like applesauce so that is out. I have made apple butter in the past but these apples are just right for baking we thought we'd give the pie filling a try.
IP Logged
Sagebrush
In The Eagles Nest 3000+ posts

Looking into the distance for smoke

View Profile

Re: Canning day
« Reply #1 on: Oct 6th, 2018, 4:16pm »

Good going! Now you've got me dreaming of Apple pie.
IP Logged

You're never really lost, if you don't care where you're at
Trainer

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 7th, 2018, 1:40pm »

We got 19 quarts! I think it will be interesting to see how it turns out in a pie. I don't think 1 quart looks like enough for 1 pie. I also think it looks like a lot of "juice" for a pie. Rusty used the food processor and the slices are thin and I bet they cooked all the way during canning.  The sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon mixture that was poured over the apples is mighty taste. I think today I'm going to use the green tomatoes and make a cake.
IP Logged
Dirts
A Real Mountain Man

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 7th, 2018, 9:13pm »

I looked it up and if you use minute Tapioca they say you should grind it to avoid lumping.  They say it continues to thicken and absorb overtime.  In fact they say to let it sit for 24 hrs. They also suggest to cut a small hole in the top crust so you can view the thickening. They say that two Tbsp of cornstarch equal one Tbsp and one tsp. Of Tapioca.   I use a carpenter hole drill to stick into the apple; then I Apply my peeler to the apple as I activate the drill to turn the apple.  I originally got the idea from a search on the web.
IP Logged
Trainer

BTO is a great forum

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 9th, 2018, 7:45pm »

Rusty bought a electric peeler that worked great. I'll be able to use it for potatoes. Thanks for the tapioca hint, I'll have to give it a try next time. I read the rest of the recipe and it does take 2 quarts per pie.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic: Sunshine!  Sunshine!  «-  Start new topic  -»  YELLOW JACKETS !!!...  Next topic: YELLOW JACKETS !!!...

Boar Tuff Outdoors » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.
Vote for Us at The Outdoor Lodge's Top Hunting Sites